Sunday, November 30, 2014

Training Report November 30th.


Wow, what a day of training for Gordon Skier's today. The rain finally cleared and the Gordon Racers were shining as bright as the sun. I'm taking a well earned break from decorating the Christmas Tree to report on today's activities.

It seems the timing gear has really got everyone motivated. I don't know the times this week, but Paul will be publishing them separately.

I saw some fantastic training, drills and racing today. It was great to see everyone making huge efforts to bring those times down. Particularly entertaining was watching PS 1 skiing on one ski, with no poles and their boots completely loose. We saw some amazing recoveries and lessons learned on keeping the core strong. Special mention to the Simpson brothers, Andrew (shooders) and Neil who gave us great demos of how keeping the hands forward makes a huge difference.

As usual the competition was hot during the team races. I think Jamie's team took a convincing win again this week, but it was nothing compared to the competition I saw in some of the head to heads at the end. Kenny (Green Giant) and Jamie faced up to each other at the end. I hope you all managed to see the race. No quarter was given and I couldn't split who took the win. Thanks guys, great for the athletes to see the coaches still racing and knocking gates out of the way.

What's impressed me more than anything so far are the improvements I'm seeing in general skiing, racing and attitude. So much so that we're going to be moving a few skiers around for next week.
  • Hannah Morrison:- Great results today, so I'd like you to move into Perf Squad 1 for next week.
  • Nathan Smith:- We need to work on that right foot (when it's on the inside) staying on the ground, but I think moving into Dev 1 will really help you with that.
  • Alex Hay:- Well done young man. You've came on like a house on fire. We'd like you to move up to Development Squad 2, for next week. Don't worry, as if the pace is too high, we'll break you in gently.
  • Daniel Lints:- Congratulations to you too young man. What an improvement you've made over the dry mat season. I'd be delighted if you could also move up to Dev 1 for next week
I've said it many times that the Performance Squad has to be fluid. We won't have time to complete a full Skills Quest and ACE, before the snow season, but it doesn't mean the door stays closed.
Huge congratulations to Morven Douglas and Kathleen Ray. Your hard work, effort and commitment to races has not gone unnoticed. I also saw you guys working very hard during fitness today. If you don't mind, I'd like you guys to join Performance Squad 2 from next next week.

I do have my eye on a few other, for potential moves, so don't be disheartened, but instead keep trying hard and making every effort.

We will do another full test, as soon as we can fit it in, so keep training hard as everyone has to improve on their results from last time.

Last point. Remember next week is the last week of practice through the timing gear, before the Christmas races. My Admin Assistant (wife) and myself will be ploughing through all the race times so far, so we can ensure the race teams, for final week, are fair.

Many thanks to all the parents who helped out today. It would be far more difficult if you didn't pitch in. I'm really buzzing from the training this year and already looking forward to next week.

Cheers, Gary W

PS special thanks to Wilma for acting as time keeper and organising the race teams as always.


PPS What happens when James gets hold of a pair of skis!


No comments:

Post a Comment